We are currently recruiting for an experienced live-in carer to assist an able bodied young man who is in recovery from a chronic illness. The treatment plan is ongoing and his eldest sister is involved with the whole medical team & practitioners to help ensure his continued recovery. The illness is in part an inflammatory disorder which results in stomach issues and some anxiety. He has improved significantly in the past 18 months but is still housebound. The aim is for the carer to take over from the sister to some extent and, most importantly, to connect with and build a strong relationship with her brother. You will become a companion, to maximise his recovery process and to provide emotional support to him. He does receive regular visits from family and friends.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to: further knowledge in interesting, frontier areas of medicine and care, such as neuro-immunology; to be part of an excellent team; and to provide hope, friendship and stability to the young gentleman. Personal care support is not a requirement of this role.
It is crucial to be proactive and engaged in your approach. We need someone who will listen to and chat with the young man, hopefully to become friends, to research medical advancements that may aid his condition and ensure that the best treatment is provided at all times.
We are looking for a flexible individual. As the role is live in the hours are not structured. You will be required to be flexible, and may be required at night, although we are hoping that this will become unnecessary quite soon. Hours off will be arranged and the secondary carer will be in place to provide time off or time out of the house.
The home is in a beautiful and peaceful environment in Northern California, with a swimming pool, surrounded by pinewoods, a natural reserve, and a brook running along two boundaries. Accommodation is in the property in an independent apartment, with bedroom, lounge, kitchenette and bathroom. The carer is welcome to use all household facilities and will have use of the car.
- Liaising with the medical team
- Managing a secondary part time carer
- Liaising with the family
- Managing appointments
- Managing the treatment and supplement schedule
- Ensuring that life is as comfortable and happy for him as possible
- Running errands
- Light housework
- Heating meals for patient (already prepared)
- Ability to cook high quality healthy foods is an advantage but not necessary, since at the moment we have a chef coming in twice per week.
- MUST have a visa for the USA
- Experience in a similar role with longevity
- Personable & friendly
- Intelligent, curious & intellectual
- Empathetic and compassionate
- Strong character but able to listen and to adapt thinking as necessary
- Naturally cheerful and positive, but also calm.
- Fit and healthy as the patient cannot manage exposure to illness due to depleted immune system
- Excellent managerial and organisational skills
- Strong desire to learn more and to research
- Have initiative and be a self-starter
Salary: Competitive dependent on experience and qualifications